After speaking with a Solihull Council Parking Officer, legal guidance has emerged which vehicle users may not be aware of.
All along Buryfield Road, there are yellow dashes (see photos above) painted onto the kerbs everywhere expect by zig-zag lines or disabled spaces. These lines signify that vehicle users are not allowed to even stop (to drop off) at anytime during the restrictions set out directly outside school (8-10am, 2-4pm). Therefore, any parent that stops to drop off their children in the morning at any of these points can be ticketed by Parking Officers.
Instead, there are areas on Buryfield Road past Links Drive towards the Warwick Road where parents can park. Admittedly, a five minute walk may be needed to then reach school, but this approach is in line with school's expectations whilst also being fair to other parents and most importantly, enables all pupils, especially cyclists to stay safe when travelling to school.
Please demonstrate awareness of others and, if necessary, possibly leave home earlier to leave enough time to park or drop off correctly and safely.
Greswold have been informed by the Solihull Highways office at the local council that the new parking restriction signs are to 'go live' from Tuesday 1st February 2022. This means parking officers will start fining vehicles which don't adhere to the signs. Although inconvenient for some, it will make the roads and pavements directly outside school much safer for pupils, their families and the local community.
For vehicle users, it will mean having to park elsewhere possibly further up Buryfield Road past Links Drive and Woodfield Road. However, this will in turn help to promote healthier lifestyles amongst children of vehicle owners as they'll have to walk at least some of the way to the school. Please take this extra time into account when travelling to school in order to avoid arriving late. Alternatively, you can always use the Park & Stride venues as The Hub on Hermitage Road and St Helen's Church on St Helen's Road by passing on your vehicle details to the school office first. Please feel free to visit the Sustainable Travel page in the Parents section of the website to find out more information about other travel initiatives used by school to help alleviate traffic congestion.
After receiving an increasing number of genuine concerns and frustrations from parents and residents alike with regards to parking around school, Greswold have put together a list of friendly parking suggestions to help make our school, and the community it's within, a better and safer place for everyone.
- If you live within a reasonable distance of school, please consider using healthier options such as walking, scooting or cycling to and from Greswold. Please refer to the Sustainable Travel website page for information on other initiatives.
- Please don't leave engines running (idling) while waiting for family members to return to the car. The engine fumes will increase air pollution around the school site otherwise.
- Park and Stride venues are available at either end of school, a safer and healthier way to enjoy a journey to and from Greswold. These include The Hub on Hermitage Road (5 minutes walk to school) and St Helen's Church on St Helen's Road (5-10 minutes walk to school). If you'd like to use The Hub then please email your car registration to the school office so we can update the facility's parking register to avoid incurring charges.
- Consider using the Walking Bus service from Wharf Lane even if you don’t live en route. It's a quieter and more peaceful 'drop off’ and ‘pick up’ location. Application forms are available from the main school office. Please note the Walking Bus is fully operational again.
- If you locate and use a parking space near to school, please be prompt in returning to your vehicle.
- Please park legally, not on double yellow lines and definitely not on the zig-zags as this consitutes an illegal traffic offence! Parking Officers regularly patrol the road and will prosecute offenders.
- Please be considerate to our local residents by parking carefully without blocking driveways or wasting any valuable parking space directly outside school.
- Always remember to escort your children onto the school site even if dropping them off is more convenient.
- Please refrain from performing 3-point turns on Buryfield Road as families will inevitably be walking on pavements directly in front or behind vehicles.
- Please speak to other road users with the same respect and values we strive to embed in the children of Greswold.
- Respect the allocated disabled spaces.
- Please, please don't leave your car engines running whilst waiting for family members. This will help to reduce air pollution around school.
- If you are running late, parking further up Buryfield Road beyond Woodfield Road can be quieter, and walking from there may actually help save you time.
- We are a large primary school with nearly 700 pupils on roll so parking will inevitably be challenging. Therefore please consider leaving home earlier to help alleviate any stress on yourselves or your children.
- Allow plenty of time for your journey, even more when it is raining!
- As ever, we will continue to encourage our families and the wider school community to adopt safe and positive approaches to travelling to and from school (See Sustainable Travel). However, if you do have a complaint regarding illegal or inconsiderate parking, this really needs to be addressed with the Parking Enforcement or Highways team at Solihull MBC.
Thank you for your continued support.